How to use other voip sip softphones than skype in linux

Earl Melton earlemelton at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 14:39:15 UTC 2010

From: user1 <bqz69 at telia.com>

I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.

The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
difficult to follow.

Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.

Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.

Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.

Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.

So now I am back to skype.

Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
as skype and which works well?

It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

User1,

(Why are so many ashamed of their names in here?) Never mind, on to the subject
at hand...

I have not tried video with it, but Gmail's phone is not hard to set up and will
do both voice and video, or so I'm told. I can testify that the voice quality on
both ends rivals any landline I've ever used.

Unlike Skype (I don't know about the others you mention), it gives you free long
distance calling anywhere in the US and Canada and charges only pennies on the
dollar for international calls. No plastic needed for regular setup. Don't know
how -- or if -- it would work for our friends across the water, but probably
worth paying a visit to:
<http://mail.google.com>
and setting up a Gmail account if you don't already have one. I had already had
to obtain one for my new HTC EVO phone. Oh wait, that almost sounds like
bragging, doesn't it? :-)
 --
Have a blessed day!
 <>< Earl