sound problem

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 11:31:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 19:18 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> > Thanks, been reading the first, lots of stuff there, inc one link to
>> > http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/05/02/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-lucidlynx-10-04/.
>> >  I did the first two steps of this work around.  I noticed that
>> > someone had sound through the earphones and not the speakers so I
>> > bought some earphones, plugged them in and indeed I have sound.  Will
>> > google this and see if i find anything.
>
> That's strange ...are those USB or analog headphones?? The answer might
> be telling! If analog, then it's strange to get sound unless that little
> mini-jack connector is somehow broken. All they usually do is open
> normally closed contacts to your speakers and pass the signal out the
> jack.
>
> If USB, then if pulse was working, you'd only have to open pavucontrol,
> open the playback tab, with some audio file already playing, and where
> it says USB headphones in the little box, click on it and you should
> have a choice between the USB headphones and your system audio device.
> Click on the system device and sound should erupt forth. Nifty, when
> it's working for you to select where you want your sound to be either
> going or coming from (output/input) I like it. Ric

These were analog headphones.
Problem solved by installing the latest version of Alsa 1.0.23
following the instructions at

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/05/02/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-10-04/

I had follow the procedure twice.  Not sure if I missed something or a
download was corrupted:

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/05/02/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-10-04/

I did not find this in my google search.  Noop gave me a link which included it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

gary