partitioning a RAID 0 drive

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:10:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 September 2010 02:33, Roy Lowrance <roy.lowrance at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to install Ubuntu on my Windows 7 PC and dual boot.
>>
>> The PC has a RAID 0 card and I see one device and three subdevices in the
>> Ubunut "Prepare partitions" dialogue:
>> /dev/mapper/isw_dgijegbagg_RAIDVOL
>>    /dev/mapper/isw_dgijegbaff_RAIDVOL1 type=ntfs, size =104MB
>>    /dev/mapper/isw_dgijegbaff_RAIDVOL2 type=ntfs, size=1987802 MB
>>    /dev/mapper/isw_ghijegbaff_RAIDVOL3 type=ntfs, size = 12485MB
>>
>> What I'd like to do is to split the 2 subdevice, the one with almost 2 GB of
>> storage.
>>
>> I may also need a swap partition.
>>
>> How should I proceed?
>
> Don't.
>
> Dual-booting off a RAID is somewhere between "extremely difficult and
> very dangerous" and "flat-out impossible".

???!!!

Judging from the name of the raid partitions, this is fakeraid. If
Ubuntu couldn't boot/dual-boot from it, there'd be a whole range of
desktops on which Ubuntu couldn't be installed.

What I find worrying is someone wanting to use raid 0 for anything
other than scratch data.

I don't know the graphical installer that well but If you select
raidvol2, don't you get an option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows?

I would prefer to re-size the ntfs partition on raidvol2 and create
partitions for Ubuntu while booted from a live cd. (Always make a full
backup before partitioning and filesystem operations.)

Also, it's 2 TB not 2 GB.