XFCE install added to server

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Sep 6 11:34:38 UTC 2010

On the machine I used to fiddle around with Ubuntu Lucid Server, I have
installed xubuntu-desktop.

What I really want to try with this machine because it's so old and slow is
XFCE. I installed xfce4 and get an option to use it at the login prompt but
it gives me nothing but the wallpaper and a mouse cursor. Nothing to select
any applications or shut it down or log out. Is there something else I need
to install?

The xubuntu desktop selection works OK as does XFCS on a virtual machine I
installed from the normal Ubuntu installer. I just want to try to get it
working without going through the whole install process again.

Thanks

Dave