how trivially can i rip my CD collection to FLAC format?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Sep 6 11:01:21 UTC 2010

  at some point in the near future, i want to rip my entire CD
collection and stuff it onto a massive hard drive.  i have no idea
how i'll want to access it after that so all i'm after is the simplest
solution to copy the entire collection in FLAC format onto that drive,
then sometime down the road, decide how i want to organize it and
possibly re-encode into a much smaller format like ogg vorbis.

  obviously, ubuntu has a number of possible utilities to support that
but, given that i want nothing more than to just start copying, what's
the simplest solution?  and, most importantly, i want to keep this
simple so that, depending on how i want to access or re-encode later,
i don't need to redo all that work.

  does that make sense?

rday

p.s.  i'm thinking that what i'll eventually do is hang that entire
collection off of my in-home router via the router's USB port, so that
i can access my collection from anywhere within router range.

                        http://crashcourse.ca