Setting the time zone.

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Mon Sep 6 07:09:17 UTC 2010

NoOp,

> Sorry, I should have been more complete; there is no 'man tz-data' nor
> is there a 'man tzdata' - tzdata is not a command. However if you use
> 'man tzconfig' it will indeed tell you:
Not here.
hakan at photon:~$ man tzdata
No manual entry for tzdata
hakan at photon:/usr/share/man$ man tzconfig
No manual entry for tzconfig
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

Let's see what man files do we have:
hakan at photon:/usr/share/man$ find . -iname tz*
./man5/tzfile.5.gz
./man3/tzset.3.gz
./man3/tzname.3.gz
./man8/tzselect.8.gz
./man1/tzselect.1.gz

And let's see what I have here:
hakan at photon:/usr/share/man$ dpkg -l|grep tzdata
ii  tzdata                                     2010l-0ubuntu0.10.04
                        time zone and daylight-saving time data
ii  tzdata-java                                2010l-0ubuntu0.10.04
                        time zone and daylight-saving time data for
use by java

Worse, the tzdata contains an executable called tzconfig, which
doesn't have any man file nor documentation. /usr/share/doc/tzdata
only contains the bare minimums, copyright, Debian.readme and a
changelog. The rest is time zone data stored in /usr/share/zoneinfo.
Even worse, tzconfig has been deprecated in favour of the command I
have posted earlier:

hakan at photon:/usr/share/man$ tzconfig --help
WARNING: the tzconfig command is deprecated, please use:
 dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

It's no wonder it spreads confusion. :)