xpdf-utils

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 21:49:05 UTC 2010

On 09/05/2010 02:20 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> I want to install the xpdf-utils package because I understand that it
> contains a utility (pdftotxt) that will convert pdf files to txt. I already
> have xpdf and xpdf-common. However, when I try to do this in synaptic, I am
> told that a large number of files will be removed, including cups (plus a
> number of cups related packages), hplip, turboprint, and ubuntu-desktop.
>
> Some of these I need.
>
> How can I get pdftotxt without a whole lot of uninstalling and
> re-installing?  Is there an alternative?  I need to convert a batch of about
> 50 pdf files.

Yep, that's a nasty one:
$ sudo apt-get -s install xpdf-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  ijsgutenprint
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bluez-cups cups cups-driver-gutenprint cups-pdf cupsys
  cupsys-driver-gutenprint foo2zjs foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine
  foomatic-db-gutenprint ghostscript-cups hplip openprinting-ppds
  openprinting-ppds-extra poppler-utils pxljr splix turboprint
ubuntu-desktop
  xpdf-utils
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 19 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Remv bluez-cups [4.60-0ubuntu8]
Remv hplip [3.10.2-2ubuntu2.1]
Remv foomatic-db-gutenprint [5.2.5-0ubuntu1.1]
Remv cupsys-driver-gutenprint [5.2.5-0ubuntu1.1]
Remv cups-driver-gutenprint [5.2.5-0ubuntu1.1]
Remv splix [2.0.0-2ubuntu3]
Remv ghostscript-cups [8.71.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.3]
Remv turboprint [2.11-2]
Remv cupsys [1.4.3-1ubuntu1.2]
Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.197]
Remv pxljr [1.1-0ubuntu7]
Remv openprinting-ppds-extra [20100216-0ubuntu3]
Remv openprinting-ppds [20100216-0ubuntu3]
Remv foomatic-db-engine [4.0.4-0ubuntu1] [foomatic-db ]
Remv foomatic-db [20100216-0ubuntu3]
Remv foo2zjs [20100210-0ubuntu4]
Remv cups-pdf [2.5.0-12]
Remv cups [1.4.3-1ubuntu1.2]
Remv poppler-utils [0.12.4-0ubuntu5] [xpdf-reader xpdf ]
Inst xpdf-utils (3.02-2ubuntu1 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)
Conf xpdf-utils (3.02-2ubuntu1 Ubuntu:10.04/lucid)

Install this instead:

poppler-utils

PDF utilitites (based on libpoppler)
This package contains pdftops (PDF to PostScript converter), pdfinfo
(PDF document information extractor), pdfimages (PDF image extractor),
pdftohtml (PDF to HTML converter), pdftotext (PDF to text converter),
and pdffonts (PDF font analyzer).