[OT] Does a multi-drive USB external hard disk rack exist?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 12:38:40 UTC 2010

On 5 September 2010 01:37, ms <devicerandom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wonderful, thank you!
> I don't have an esata port on my laptop, but I've seen there are usb
> converters, so I guess it's not a big problem -or it is?

No, as far as I know, you can't convert USB2 to eSATA. It would be a
foolish thing to do - USB2 maxes out at a *theoretical* 480Mb/s
whereas eSATA, like SATA, runs at 1.5Gb/s - more than 3X faster - for
the slow version, 3Gb/s for most modern disks and interfaces and 6Gb/s
is coming.

For that kind of speed, you need USB3, which is still quite rare. You
are more likely to find enclosures with eSATA than USB3 at this time.

You need to find out if your laptop has either CardBus or ExpressCard
slots. You can buy both and Cardbus SATA and eSATA controllers; I've
seen them. (A simple cable will convert between SATA and eSATA.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expresscard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_card#CardBus

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com