[OT] Does a multi-drive USB external hard disk rack exist?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 00:03:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Steven Susbauer <steven at too1337.com> wrote:

> The key word is "enclosure". There are quite a few hard disk enclosures
> on newegg and elsewhere which will either do the raid internally or
> present both disks (as JBOD) which you can then use btrfs, lvm, zfs or
> other means to use as one large disk.

Haven't tried btrfs, or zfs.

I build the raid with mdadm, the use lvm on top of the software raid.

I stay away from hardware raid unless it's a really high end raid controller
with
a support contract from the vendor.  With software raid recovery after a
hardware
failure is much more certain.  With hardware raid you may not be able to
recover
unless the new hardware matches the exact model number including version
number,
and firmware version (controller, and all drives).

With software raid recovery from hardware failures is much more straight
forward,
and more likely to succeed.

I have seen a raid controller go berserk and write garbage on all the
drives.
Raid is not a substitute for backups.

--
Drew Einhorn