Strange networking problem with default route

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 22:22:22 UTC 2010

I was testing a new Engenius ESR-1221 router/access point.

DHCP assign an address to my laptop.

I was able to connect to the router with the browser,
examine the default configuration and tweak some settings.

Tried to access stuff through the router's WAN port,
it didn't work.

Did a:   netstat -nr

Hmm.  No default route.  Did a tcpdump capture during
DHCP, and examine the results during wireshark.

Looks ok.

Now here is the real puzzler.
Tried the NetworkManager applet.
It says I have the correct default route,
even though netstat -nr doesn't show a default route
and it doesn't work.

I can manually add a default route using:  route add ...

netstat -nr  shows the new default route and I can browse the
internet through the router.

The laptop works fine with other routers, access points.

I plugged a Lucid desktop into an Engenius LAN port.
It worked fine.

Plugged a RHEL5 desktop into the Engenius LAN port
it worked fine.

This doesn't make any sense!!

--
Drew Einhorn