Temperamental VNC

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Wed Sep 1 22:45:41 UTC 2010

On 1 September 2010 23:33, Michael Pavling <pavling at gmail.com> wrote:
> onto it and launch VNCserver (I've installed TightVNC) I can log on
> and it works fine for a time. But at some point - generally when I
> click a button in VirtualBox, the VNC viewer closes on my PC, and in
Which button?

You can run VM with with "VBoxManage startvm -name --type vrdp" and
use rdesktop to access the console, if you insist.

The rest of the management can be done with an ssh session, you should
not need anything else. If you have commands which you cannot
terminate or leave running with nohup or in the background, install
"screen".

> to avoid the process terminations, but I have to be logged in on the
> console for it to work, which isn't acceptable long term - I need to
> be able to reboot without concern)
Surely you know how to use shutdown command, "shutdown -r" will reboot
the server.