boot screen missing on 10,04 with intel graphics

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 19:23:04 UTC 2010

On 08/31/2010 10:18 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On August 31, 2010 02:28:46 pm NoOp wrote:

>> >   Okay did that, then shut down and booted, still no screen until the
>> >   Ubuntu
>> >
>> > with dots underneath it appears.

>> >   This system has Intel Graphics, my eMachines laptop has the ATI, and
>> >   the
>> >
>> > same quirks, so I've actually got 2 systems to solve his on.
>>
>> See:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>> for troubleshooting advise.
>
> Initial Default
>
>     * GRUB 2 will boot straight into the default operating system if no other
> operating system is detected. No menu will be displayed. If another operating
> system is detected, the GRUB 2 menu will display.
>
>   I'll definitely keep digging on this.  While holding the shift key during
> boot can be done, it's not the kind of work I like seeing stuff go out the door
> with.

I'm not sure that it's a problem; there is only one OS and the user can
obtain the grub menu by holding the shift key. This is no different than
a Windows system where the user would need to press F8 to get to the
utilities menu.

If you have two OS's (Win dual-boot or two Ubuntu's) then the user will
get the grub menu to select between the two. Perhaps this is what you
are looking for?

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 on single operating system computers.

    * No menu is displayed. The system is immediately booted to the
default OS.
    * This is the default setting with only one identified operating system.
          o To display the menu under this condition, place a # symbol
at the start of the line and ensure the GRUB_TIMEOUT setting is a
positive integer.
    * If the value is set to 0, a keystatus check is performed to
determine if the SHIFT key is depressed. If GRUB 2 determines the SHIFT
key is depressed during the boot process, the menu will be displayed.
This gives the user a method of interrupting an automatic boot which
would normally not display the menu.