use of fschk

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 12:53:54 UTC 2010

On 10/14/2010 04:48 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I, have- I hope - a rather simple question.
> My HD (1 year old: ATA SAMSUNG HD502HI).
> Since several weeks I get kernel errors related to this disk like:
> ata1.00: error: { UNC } ...:  51 Time(s)
>       end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector ...:  6 Time(s)
>       sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto
> reallocat ...:  6 Time(s)
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descr ...:  6 time(s)
>
> As this disk is the main disk with / and /home etc I cannot unmount it
> to perform an fsck when running th system. I assume a live-CD  (or
> USB-stick) would do the trick But does anybody if there is an easier
> method as it is such a hassle, and moreover is the best way to do it?
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

     I will avoid buying an ATA SAMSUNG hard drive. Yes all HD do have
bad sectors and these are removed by the first factory pre-format. Your
problem seems to be that your HD is growing more bad sectors.

     Suggest you save money for a new hard drive and start over. I use
Western Digital and have not had many problems.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User