Ubuntu/Ubuntu dual boot and grub2

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 31 17:18:16 UTC 2010

Hi

I have a system with Lucid installed, and have installed Maverick on a
small separate partition in order to check it out prior to upgrading
my Lucid partition.  This works fine except that the Maverick
partition is what one might call the master partition in the sense
that it appears at the top of the grub boot list, and if I want to
change boot options I do it in /default/grub in the Maverick
partition.

I would like the Lucid partition to be the master one so that at some
point I can simply remove the Maverick partition and upgrade Lucid.  I
guess I can do this using the same method as for when Windows messes
up the MBR, as described in [1].  Is there a better or easier way?

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Colin