cups, an annoying problem

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Oct 30 22:01:48 UTC 2010

On 30/10/10 18:18, Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:
>> I have an annoying problem in cups.
>> In an former install I had a few printers connected to a server called
>> server.group.nl I installed a new OS etc. and changed the name to
>> server-new.group.nl.
>> Annoyingly now cups still sees the old printers
>> (printer1 at server.group.nl) although it doesn't exist anymore.
>> When I want to remove it with cups I get a java error, When I remove it
>> with 'lpadmin -x printername' it seems to be removed but it isn't.
>> The same printers on server-new.group.nl(of course with a different
>> name) are correctly seen by cups and work OK. It is however, annoying
>> when you want to print and choose the wrong name.
>> I googled but all solutions presented didn't work.
>> I hope somebody has a suggestion.
>
> Have you tried system-config-printers (aka System->Administration->Printing)?
>
> Mark

Mark,
Yes. I did that several times. The offending printers show up in the
list but when I left-click on the printer the delete button is grayed-out.
I assume this is logical as the related server no longer exists. But I
don't know how to 'fake' it. Moreover the entries for these printers
must be somewhere where I can delete them using vi, nano or whatever.
Hope there are more suggestions.
Joep