Asus M4a785-m and ntegrated ATI Radeon HD4200 output to 15" VGA Monitor and HDMI-TV <SOLVED>

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 14:15:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 05:05, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 09:31 PM, Luis Paulo wrote:
>> I also read about nVidia ahead on using the GPU to do some of the CPU
>> work, that seems interesting. Again, if it is, I am confident ATI will
>> get there too.
>
> ATI also offloads to the GPU, I believe and somebody can correct me if
> I'm wrong, ATI and FGLRX were the first ones to offload some of the work
> to the GPU with a driver on Linux and as of what a year ago I think they
> offload all video to the GPU on Windows and Mac now.

thanks, Jordon

The article I talked was about GPGPU (meaning general purpose
computing on graphics processing units), a nVidia proprietary dev
environment CUDA, and PhysX technology used namely by Photoshop CS4
and several games. The article presents benchmarks that puts (on some
very particular use, true) amd/ati way behind nvidia cards.

Also refers a openCL that works on both platforms (not only on nvidia
like CUDA), open but still young.

As I really don't understand any of it, I thought of this as putting
the GPU doing CPU work, more than putting the GPU doing more graphics
work, or specific tasks like (de)compress and alike. A bit more than
DirectX.

Just to leave some of the googling names, sorry if it is very OT.

Regards
Luis