LAMP beginner

Donkey Hottie donkey at fred.pp.fi
Sat Oct 30 12:57:50 UTC 2010

On 29.10.2010 20:14, Ashim Kapoor wrote:
> OK. Let me clarify my query, localhost is both the apache webserver and
> the mysql server ? That is what puzzles me.

Yes.

Localhost is the host name of local host, myself, me and I. It is a
special DNS name which always points to 127.0.0.1

You can access all services running on the same machine with that name.
What makes the services separate from each other then? It's the port
number. TCP/IP networking connects always via ports.

Apache normally works on ports 80 (http) and 443 (https). MySQL,
then,works in port 3306.

--

A classic is something that everyone wants to have read
and nobody wants to read.