Possibly OT: networking under VirtualBox

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:30:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, OK, but having a half-working system with weird glitches is not pleasant.

I wound up going the whole hog and creating a new VB VM for my XP.  So
far I have upped it to SP3 and no major problems, but I also haven't
pulled in any of the usual apps I had before.  That's next.

> I advise wiping & reinstalling all computers periodically.
Egad!  I try to avoid that as much as possible.

:
> I constantly see individuals & companies throwing out "old" computers
> that are now "too slow". Actually, if they were wiped & reloaded, the
> machines would be just fine - it's the accumulated cruft that slows
> them down.

There's a book around that I have somewhere in my storage boxes called
"Degunking Linux" that addresses this exact problem.  Of course, it's
pretty old, now, so possibly its ideas a a little crufty as well, but
I'd rather clean up the gunk than reinstall.  It's not that hard to
do.

For Windoze, there's a nifty little program called CCLeaner (used to
be called Crap Cleaner - go figure).  Maybe we need an industrious
person to do something like that for Linux machines, except that it's
so easy to just do it by hand or in a dinky shell script....

> However, the technology does not exist to spend more transistors on
> making processors run code faster, so instead, now, CPU makers just
> make the chips able to run /more/ code in unit time, by adding more
> cores. This doesn't mean 1 program runs in half the time; it means you
> can run 2 (or 3 or 4 or now even 6 for big server chips) programs in
> the same time as 1. This is actually no help at all for most purposes.

Actually, Microsoft solved this problem with Vista by releasing an OS
that consumes more CPU time as it becomes available....  :-)

Seriously, that's only true to the extent that the owner doesn't use
his computer well, which is most people.  I rather like that I can
burn a DVD, watch a movie, run a VM and build a kernel all at the same
time without making the machine sweat or getting errors on the DVD.

> Wiping & reloading is a pain in the *cough* neck, but the pain is
> rewarded. It is, as the kiddies say, like, totally worth it.

Cleaning one's room is too, and it takes less time and effort than
rebuilding the house.

To each his/her own.

Mark