Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:15:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 04:01 AM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>>>
>>> Basil,
>>>
>>> There is always Openindiana or StormOS or even Mac OS X.
>>
>> This probably is OT, but when reading this (and googling to know more about
>> Openindiana and StormOS) it made me think of this strange and elusive thing
>> called GNU Hurd.
>>
>> Since I've started using Linux I think I've been reading the same text on
>> their web site (http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html)
>>
>> "The GNU Hurd is under active development. Because of that, there is no stable
>> version."
>>
>> Anyone know if this "Hurd" is more than vaporware? I mean after ten years
>> of "active development".....
>>
>> Thierry
>
> It's alive and dead at the same time.  People are still using it, trying
> to develop on it, Debian is the main compiler for it, but it's almost
> dead because nobody uses it, and it will never make it mainstream
> because it's a-lot-a-bit outdated.

You are *very* confused and this is neither helpful nor informative.
Debian is not a compiler; HURD is not remotely outdated, nor is it
dead.

It is a research OS. The developers are trying to do something new and
different and untried, and it's not finished yet. /That/ is why nobody
much uses it; because it is not ready to be used yet.

It may never be, but that doesn't matter - it will have been an
interesting and informative exercise if it never does get "finished".
Linux isn't "finished" and probably never will be.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com