Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Fri Oct 29 08:52:15 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 09:21:37 am Basil Chupin wrote:
> But it seems that the 'wacky-tobbacky' crowd has now even infiltrated
> Ubuntu and want Gnome to be now dragged down to the level of Windows or
> MAC.

Unfortunately yes

> Having said this, I am getting REALLY peed-off with the whole thing in
> the Linux world and am considering going back to Windows.
(...)
> Cannot Linux come up with something original?!

That's not what I would ask for. I would ask: who needs change?

KDE 3 is a very good (in my opinion the best) Desktop Environment. I've been
told repeatedly that it had to be changed because (apart from QT4 being
incompatible with QT3) there were "things that it could not do", but no one
ever told me what. So we got KDE 4 and it's plasmoids and of course the world
is so much better.

If you like it, give a try to Trinity...

Gnome works well. You have to digg to understand how to customize it (KDE 3
was better at that), but it works. I'd wish Gnome copies Konqueror(3) as a
file manager, but Gnome Commander is not bad. Ditch the panel and understand
AWN and you get a not-Windows-like-working-fast-Environment.

So why (??!?!?!?) does Gnome have to follow in KDE's footsteps and change its
desktop? And as the traditional Gnome Desktop will remain under Gnome Shell,
why doesn't Ubuntu just stick to it? These are my questions.

> Having said this, I am getting REALLY peed-off with the whole thing in
> the Linux world and am considering going back to Windows.

Well, as far as I am concerned I left Windows in 1992 (3.0 by the time) for
OS/2. Linux became my main OS in 1999 (KDE 0.4 on SuSE 5.4) and although I
find Windows 7 is better than the previous ones, I will never go to it, not
because of the virusses, but because:

1. They control your install (I don't mean you have to pay for it, that's OK,
but you depend on them if you change your Hardware)
2. It's not *nix. I've got to love the *nix structure and the shell too much
to ever go back to a microsoft(like) shell.

My latest Notebook runs Ubuntu. the original harddisk (with a licensed Windows
7 Professionnal) has not even been used, I replaced it before starting the
machine. I was not even tempted to try).

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock