Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 29 07:21:37 UTC 2010

On 28/10/2010 01:11, Bill Wright wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 09:56 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 28/10/2010 00:50, Tarun Khanna wrote:
>>
>>> I have run into a few issues with the new Unity interface in the
>>> latest (10.10) Ubuntu Netbook Edition.
>>>
>>> 1. There is no easy way to move/copy files around. The file manager
>>> provided by Unity doesn't provide a right click context menu. The only
>>> way I could do file operations was by launching the terminal (which by
>>> itself was difficult to find). Then either do file operations on the
>>> command line in the terminal or launch nautilus from within the
>>> terminal. That seems to be the only way to launch Nautilus.
>>>
>>> 2. The desktop crashes often. Sometimes it restarts by itself, other
>>> times I have to go to a terminal and restart gdm. This generally
>>> happens after I exit xbmc or huludesktop running in fullscreen mode.
>>>
>>> 3. There is no run dialog. That is definitely the single biggest issue
>>> as I use the run dialog very often.
>>>
>>> 4. The desktop is pathetically slow. My hardware meets the recommended
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your help.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tarun
>>>
>> And so....SNAFU, right? :'( .
>>
>> BC
>>

> I had similar problems...I removed UNITY and went back to WIN7

I gave Windows away quite some time ago.

I went over to openSUSE with its KDE.

Then then crap started to happen with some "progressives" starting crap
called KDE4 - which resulted in mucho arguments between the KDE3 brigade
and the KDE4 brigade.

I got p***** off with all this crap and went over to Ubuntu, with its
GNOME which I hated to begin with (when I first tried Linux way back in
early 1990's).

But Ubuntu, with GNOME, was like a gust of fresh air! I was flying like
a bird with no widgets or plasmoids or gismoids or Wlily-Wonka-noids, or
anything developed by people who seemed to be on 'wacky-tobbaky'!

But it seems that the 'wacky-tobbacky' crowd has now even infiltrated
Ubuntu and want Gnome to be now dragged down to the level of Windows or MAC.

Having said this, I am getting REALLY peed-off with the whole thing in
the Linux world and am considering going back to Windows.

For chrissake, all the arguments about how virus-free, how secure Linux
is, is not worth a pinch of bullshit when by installing Windows you have
a good Desktop Environment, icons which look neat, do what they are
supposed to do, and so on.

OK, so you need to watch out for viruses, for phishing, for spyware.....
You have means available to you to protect yourself against most of
these annoyances. OK, and so you pay money for them.

All the "arguments" so far which I have read is to try and copy Windows,
for chrissake!

Cannot Linux come up with something original?!

And you don't have people coming out with stating that their software is
opensource and free and then go about trying to turn the bloody thing
into "core free" software rather than "open source" software.

I have read some snippets of info posted in the ubuntu/kubuntu lists
about Red Hat.

Maybe that is the way to go?

I don' know. I really don't.

Rather than try and gain market share - or, rather USERS - of Linux -
the distros are doing just the opposite with their antics.

BC

--
"Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. His wisdom is achievable by others, his stupidity is not."
                                         Confucius