~/.matplotlib owned by root makes life with Python difficult

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Oct 28 04:52:57 UTC 2010

On 10/27/2010 07:48 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 27 October 2010 22:54, Philip Semanchuk<philip at semanchuk.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm on a fresh install of 10.10 with the latest updates available as of today. I installed a few packages via the Synaptic Package Manager including matplotlib (0.99.3). The install went fine except that the critical directory ~/.matplotlib is owned by root rather than by me. This is the output from ls -la:
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2010-10-27 17:23 .matplotlib
>>
>> This leaves me unable to use matplotlib from Python (unless I run Python via sudo):
>>
> My guess would be that you ran matplotlib as root (or via sudo) at
> some point which caused that file to be owned by root. Package
> installations don't create files in your home directory, running the
> application will.
>
> Al.

I may be all wet, but I'm taking a class on Linux/Unix, and I understand
that a
symbolic link (ln -s filename   or  /directory name) will set the new
permissions to
777.  So if you were to go to root, and make a symbolic link from the
directory to wherever it is you want it, it should be read/write/executable
from the new non-root directory.  If I'm all wet, somebody let me know.

--doug