Possibly OT: networking under VirtualBox

Joao Ferreira gmail joao.miguel.c.ferreira at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 21:22:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 11:38 -0700, Mark wrote:

> 1) It can't see my on-board network, so it can't reach the internet or
> even the local (router) network.

the guest does not need to see the on-board network. the guest simply
needs to be "virtually configured" to have a "virtual" network
interface.

does your guest have a network interface ?

> Most importantly I need to get the guest to recognize the network
> because I remote mount via samba eight virtual drives for shared
> access between the host and the guest, and some of the installed apps
> depend on seeing a remote mounted D: drive that is currently
> invisible/inaccessible.

this would be supposed to work in any of bridged or NAT mode.

> Before I used NAT, I was using bridged mode, but since that gives the
> guest the same IP address shared with the host, that makes the remote
> mounting of the samba drives impossible.

this is not correct. Both VB and VMware allow you diferent IPs for both
interfaces (real(host) and virtual(guest)), in bridged mode.

In NAT mode this question does no exist, because the guest sits behind
NAT and the IP address assigned lays on an internal segment.

Are you using DHCP on the host and guest interfaces ? If you're not
using DHCP maybe you should try it.

> I realize that this is more of a VB question than Ubuntu, per se, but
> if anyone has any similar experience or wise suggestions here, I'd
> appreciate the input.

Try removing the virtual NIC from your guest. Save everything. And
re-add a NIC. Configure it for DHCP and connect in bridged mode on a
segment with a DHCP server on it.