How to configure PC for wired/static and wired/DHCP networks?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 15:57:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 27, 2010 09:11 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>  wrote:

>>> Not possible unless you have two interfaces. How is the software
>>> supposed to know when to load the office network and when not to?
>>
>> If this is in different locations rather than simultaneous, ifupdown
>> provides ping-places.sh to be used in "/etc/network/interfaces" to
>> determine which configuration to use.
>
> Hmm...one wonders whether making another alias to use on the other
> subnet for simultaneous connections to two subnets would be fun to automate.
>
> This is getting way out of end user range.

There's an "/etc/network/interfaces" example supplied with ping-places.sh:

mapping eth0
script /path/to/ping-places.sh
map 192.168.42.254/24 192.168.42.1 home
map 10.15.43.254/24 10.15.43.1 work-wireless
map 10.15.43.23/24 10.15.43.1 work-static
iface home inet dhcp
iface work-wireless bootp
iface work-static static
address 10.15.43.23