Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Tarun Khanna tarunkhanna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:50:35 UTC 2010

I have run into a few issues with the new Unity interface in the latest
(10.10) Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

1. There is no easy way to move/copy files around. The file manager provided
by Unity doesn't provide a right click context menu. The only way I could do
file operations was by launching the terminal (which by itself was difficult
to find). Then either do file operations on the command line in the terminal
or launch nautilus from within the terminal. That seems to be the only way
to launch Nautilus.

2. The desktop crashes often. Sometimes it restarts by itself, other times I
have to go to a terminal and restart gdm. This generally happens after I
exit xbmc or huludesktop running in fullscreen mode.

3. There is no run dialog. That is definitely the single biggest issue as I
use the run dialog very often.

4. The desktop is pathetically slow. My hardware meets the recommended
requirements.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,
Tarun