local net not working

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Oct 27 09:03:14 UTC 2010

On 27/10/10 03:49, rikona wrote:

> B>  On 10/25/2010 10:38 AM, rikona wrote:
>>> Installed Lucid on a 2nd box on the local net. [The 1st box is OK - it
>>> can see/access the win boxes, and vice versa.] The 2nd box can't see
>>> others or be seen by others. The box2 inet works fine, and I can ping
>>> either in or out to/from local boxes [all have fixed IP addresses].
>>>
>>> I did some samba 'setup' using info on the UB site, but there are
>>> multiple pages showing how to do it, and they are different, as are
>>> non-UB samba setup pages. The current state on box2 has a very
>>> different smb.conf compared to box1 [which works]. The box2 smb.conf
>>> has all the comments stripped out and some entries that are not in
>>> either the working smb.conf or the original installed file. And, the
>>> 'samba menu' app on box2 says it doesn't like some entries in
>>> smb.conf. It looks like my 'setup' may have just messed up things...
>>>
>>> Not sure how to proceed. Would it be a good idea to copy the working
>>> smb.conf from box1 to box2 and restart samba? Or would there be a way
>>> to just 'start over'? Or is there yet another approach that might work
>>> better?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> rikona

> B>  There is a good web app that allows you to configure a ton of
> B>  things on your machine including Samba its called webmin. Look it
> B>  up it may help you out.

rikona,
I'm using webmin for several years now on different Linuxes (Fedora,
SuSe, Ubuntu) and it is my nr 1. administration application. Browser
interface, you can manage several machines from one central system has
entries for many applications. In my opinion Canoncal should pack it
with every basic install.
Another indispensable application (for me) is gkrellm, which gives you
in a glance an overview of the health of your system (processor load,
disk use, temp, etc.).
By the way, Samba is a beast but careful reading of the manual should
give you the right guidelines to manage it with webmin.
Joep