virtualbox: are there two versions?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 25 15:34:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:27:30PM +0200, Leander Jedamus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently read in a magazine that virtualbox from oracle comes in two
> different flaviours: an open source edition (which is in the
> repositories) and a proprietary one, which has usb-support, what I need.
> Do I have to install that package without apt-get? I like that
> update-thing from ubuntu, but did not find the proprietary package in
> the repositories.

No, you don't have to do it without apt-get, what you need to do is to
add the repository that has the proprietary/not-OS versions in to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.

On my 10.04 system the line you need to add is:-

    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid non-free

However a Google search will quickly find simple instructions for adding
the required repository without having to edit files etc.

--
Chris Green