Should gnome-keyring-daemon pick up my login password and use it?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Oct 23 14:37:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 02:09:10PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> I used to have gnome-keyring-daemon (or at least I think it was that)
> set up so that it automatically used my login password to unlock the ssh
> keys so that I didn't have to enter my password a second time.
>
> Now it always asks for my password (with a pop-up box) the first time I
> do something that needs to unlock my ssh keys.
>
> This is on a 10.04 system, I think I lost the automatic use of password
> when I upgraded from 9.10 but I'm not absolutely sure about that.
>
> It's not a big problem but it's an annoying niggle.

I think I have the answer, firstly you need what I already had in my
.xprofile :-

    eval $(gnome-keyring-daemon --start)
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
    export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET

I think this is *supposed* to happen automatically somewhere in the gdm
startup configuration but it doesn't so you have to do it manually.

Then, the bit I had lost, when the pop-up box asking you for your
password appears (the first time you need an ssh key for example) you
have to tick the box that says load automatically at login (or whatever
the wording is).  With this done I now have my automatic loading of the
key agent when I log in.

--
Chris Green