Problems installing VMWare

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 06:27:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM, nitin chandra <nitinchandra1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I have not tried VMware Player but if helps with concept.....
>
> Updated headers and as much as basic installation files.
> I have installed VMware server 2.0.2 with a patch on my Ubuntu 10.04
> and it works along with FireFox 3.5.9.
>
> I currently have 4 vm runnng on it .... 2 64-bit Ubuntu (Guest OS), 1
> 32-bit Ubuntu (Guest OS) and WindowsXPsp2 (test platform)

Tried again tonight.  All goes well until this:

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic" is an existing directory,
but it does not contain a "linux" subdirectory as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22" is an existing directory, but it
does not contain a "linux" subdirectory as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Here is what's in /usr/src:

$ ls /usr/src
linux-headers-2.6.35-22/  linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic/

And, yes, there is no "linux" subdirectory under either one:

$ ls /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22
arch/		drivers/   init/    lib/      samples/	 tools/
block/		firmware/  ipc/     Makefile  scripts/	 ubuntu/
crypto/		fs/	   Kbuild   mm/       security/  usr/
Documentation/	include/   kernel/  net/      sound/	 virt/
$ ls /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic/
arch/		drivers@   init@    lib@	    net@       sound@	usr@
block@		firmware@  ipc@     Makefile@	    samples@   source@	virt@
crypto@		fs@	   Kbuild@  mm@		    scripts/   tools@
Documentation@	include/   kernel/  Module.symvers  security@  ubuntu@

So what the <bleep> is it looking for and where "should" it be?

I have the latest updated kernel headers installed....

(Foo)

Mark