Problems installing VMWare

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 08:54:14 UTC 2010

I used to use server 1.08 under CentOS (because the horror stories
about problems with 2.0 were too many to ignore).  I actually haven't
tried that yet, but I don't expect a difference because of this:

I tried to install the VMWare Player, and in running the installation
script, I get errors ebcause it can't seem to find the kernel headers
with the right files.  The only headers I have are:

$ ls /usr/src
linux-headers-2.6.35-22/  linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic/

And the installer says the second one's linux/version.h file contains
some stuff that looks wrong (@@VMWARE<something>) and the first one
doesn't have a linux/version.h file in it (it doesn't).

Anyone have better luck with this than the above and have a few clues for me?

TIA.

Mark