Sound Problem with ubuntu 10.10

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 21 05:18:13 UTC 2010

On 21/10/2010 15:26, Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> People will disagree with me, but what I do is to simply uninstall
>> pulseaudio and at the same time install alsamixergui; then start
>> alsamixergui (using ALT-F2) and make sure that all the correct channels
>> have been activated. For example, with me, and I use the SoundBlaster
>> Audigy card, I have to activate the Analog Output Jack.
>>

> That worked fine for me, but I can't seem to locate a single master
> volume control with easy access.
>
> Also, my sound control keys don't work (yet).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Ah. Now, I have the 5.1 Creative speaker system installed and the volume
and woofer controls are sitting at my finger tips on a control unit at
the end of a cable :-) . So I only have to twirl a lill knob to get more
or less volume. Also, the apps I use (eg, xine, vlc) have their own
volume controls.

All this boils down to: I hadn't come across what you are now
experiencing. However, there is a solution (or two...). (You can of
course run alsamixergui using ALT-F2 or even alsamixer from a terminal
command line - but this is not what you are after I take it.)

pulseaudio.

This will re-acivate the System>Preferences>Sound where you can set the
volume using the slider.

(There is also a way to bring back the volume control thingie in the
upper panel but I have forgotten how to do it. Someone else will know
because 'they' told me how to do it in the first place....)

BC

--
"If it weren't for electricity we'd be all watching television by candlelight."
                 George Gobel