How to remove login banner?

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Thu Oct 21 03:27:37 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 08:23 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 20 October 2010 23:29, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I always see the following banner when I log in to a linux machine. I
>> find the following webpage. I'm wondering what is the best way to
>> remove the banner.
>>

> I just create a file in my home directory called .hushlogin (hidden
> file, hence the preceding dot).
>
> $ touch ~/.hushlogin
>
> That way it only affects me, and not anyone else.
>
> Al.

rm -rf /etc/update-motd.d/10-help-text
echo 'MyComputer v0.1' > /etc/motd.tail

You can leave out the motd.tail part if you want, you're just looking to
remove the copyright most likely.  I would leave the update
notifications and upgrade notifications and even last login up but it's
up to you if you want to go the .hushlogin way and silence everything.