Dear lazyweb: ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 drivers

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 23:59:16 UTC 2010

I installed Kubuntu 10.10 on a Dell laptop that ran Kubuntu 9.10
32-bit just fine, but both 10.10 64 bit and 10.10 32 are very
sluggish. Nothing obvious in top and no swap thrashing, I am at a loss
for what the issue might be. Currently I'm using the free
out-of-the-box video drivers for this card:
✈dcl:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400

Which of the proprietary drivers is suitable for that card? I've been
googling but everything seems two years out of date. What do the wise
souls here recommend?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen