sending mail on ubuntu through sendmail

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Oct 20 15:00:30 UTC 2010

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 20.10.2010 16:26, Jordon Bedwell:
>
>> Postfix is trash, get a real MTA, something like EXIM4.
>
> Wow, that's a really balanced, technically well-founded statement one
> can base his decisions on.
> Not.

To be fair, neither did David make any technical statements but he did
refrain from making broad sweeping remarks about sendmail.

You have your sendmail bigots, your postfix ones and those who swear by
exim like Jordon here and srs. Did I leave something out? Ah well, I
guess I do have to include it for good measure. That public domain,
secure and uber small footprint of an MTA called qmail. All these have
their spots. If you like dot-qmail, you like dot-qmail which does offer
more than dot-forward. If you want a simple, verp capable outgoing mail
handle, qmail fits the bill. If you want something with more features
and a bit higher learning curve, there is postfix and if you are a
die-hard, i'll build my features myself, there is always sendmail.

Never had a chance to spend time with exim so I'll let others yap about
it. I'm sure this monolith, can do anything piece of software can be
graded somewhere.