Laptop hangs with kernel 2.6.35-22 but not with 2.6.32-25...

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Oct 20 14:08:38 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 08:46 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I've an OLD HP OmniBook XE3 which worked well with 10.04
>
> I updated to 10.10.
>
> When I boot the machine with kernel 2.6.32-25-generic, it works
> nicely... everything perfectly.
>
> If I boot with kernel 2.6.35-22 it hangs during boot (and sometimes
> displayes a whole list of text diags on the console if it didn't hang
> during graphics state).
>
> Any idea what may be wrong? Any suggestions as to what kind of settings
> to play with at boot time that may have an impact difference between the
> 2 kernels?

Try to enable boot logging so you can give us more information:

sudo touch /var/log/boot
sudo echo 'BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes' > /etc/default/bootlogd

Please don't post the entire console output, just grep it and see if you
can't find the error that is causing your terminal to pop up when you're
booting and then post that specific information to us.  With splash the
console should normally only show when there is an error, most people
don't catch that error in time.

My assumption is this could possibly be a graphics issue.  Won't know
for sure though until we get some more information because as I'm sure
you might know "it hangs" can literally mean a million and one different
causes.