State of the 64bit?

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 20:17:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:25, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 01:52 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> Did anything remain from an older installation such as /opt or /usr/local?
> Nope, nothing was their. I was moving from Windows to Linux so I did a
> complete format and installed from scratch.
>
> So what is so great about 64bit?  Does it use resources better? Do you
> think it could run on
>
> 1.63Ghz processor
> 3GB Ram
> 100GB HDD

Hello, Anthony:

Assuming the processor is 64-bit capable, it should work fine as far
as I know.  The main things it has done for me are:

1.  Allow use of essentially unlimited RAM (I have 8 Gb at the moment)
which allows me to run multiple big programs without swapping and

2.  Allow essentially unlimited file size--not all that rare these
days with xml beiing so pervasive.

HTH

Regards,

-Tom