updatedb doesn't update

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:50:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/2010 03:09 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM, NoOp ...
>>> Check your /etc/updatedb.conf file to see if it's screwed up. Here's
>>> mine for reference:
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>>> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
>>> # PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
>>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
>>> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs
>>> iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite
>>> tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"
>>
>> I don't see the file '/etc/updatedb.conf' on my system. Shall I just
>> copy your file to my system. Or there is any tool that I should use to
>> generate such a file on my system.
>
> Reinstall mlocate should create it. But copying mine should work as well
> as it's generic.
>

>>> Also try to invoke manually to see if perhaps the bin file is OK:
>>>
>>> $ sudo updatedb
>>
>> The command updatedb works.
>
> Given your lack of a config file I'd go ahead and reinstall mlocate:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall mlocate
>
> Then check to see if you have /etc/updatedb.conf.

I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
anything I need to do to let updatedb run regularly?

$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
udf rpc_pipefs"

--
Regards,
Peng