what os is using which partitions?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 18:47:16 UTC 2010

On 10/17/2010 06:35 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM, ms...
>> As far as I know there is no magic file of this kind -grub takes its
>> information from its grub configuration file. Partitions are just
>> partitions -system partitions will contain their own OS files, but they
>> become "owned" by an OS just when the OS boots.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Exactly. That will tell the OP what is installed where. Example:

sda1:

    File system:       ntfs
    Boot sector type:  Windows XP
    Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files/dirs:   /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sda2:

    File system:       ntfs
    Boot sector type:  Windows XP
    Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files/dirs:

sdb1:

    File system:       ext4
    Boot sector type:  Grub 2
    Boot sector info:  Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sdb1 and
                       looks at sector 4785455 of the same hard drive for
                       core.img, but core.img can not be found at this
                       location.
    Operating System:  Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
    Boot files/dirs:   /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
                       /boot/grub/core.img

sdb2:

    File system:       Extended Partition
    Boot sector type:  -