Question about paravirtualisation support and about linux-virtual

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:46:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:23, Ioannis Vranos
<cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 questions.
>
> 1. Does anyone know if there is VMware paravirtualisation support in
> recent Ubuntu releases?
>

> 2. Also in Synaptic, there are available linux images in the style:
>
> linux-image-2.6.32-23-virtual
>
> with the description:
>

> Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on x86/x86_64
>
> This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on
> x86/x86_64.
>
> Also includes the corresponding System.map file, the modules built by
> the
> packager, and scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in
> an
> unbootable state after an update.
>
> Supports Virtual processors.
>
> Geared toward virtual machine guests.
>
> You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead,
> install
> the linux-virtual meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work
> correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.
>
> Canonical provides critical updates for linux-image-2.6.32-23-virtual
> until October 2011.
>

> and the metapackage linux-virtual has the following description:
>

> Complete Linux kernel for virtual machines
>
> This package will always depend on the latest complete Linux kernel
> available
> for virtual machines.
>

> Are these about paravirtualisation support, and does this support
> include VMware?
>

> Thank you a lot,
>
> --
> Ioannis Vranos

About linux-virtual:
As I understood it, is a ubuntu system to (and probably optimized to)
use as a guest.
It is a minimal system, no X, missing many common commands, etc... (I
installed the lucid amd64 server version). After installation, you may
add whatever you want exactly as you do with a normal linux-image
install.