How to set up wireless internet in ubuntu 10.04.1

d~_*b theunknownandrew at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 04:32:33 UTC 2010

On 18 October 2010 09:46, Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I installed WICD but it still says no wireless networks found. Any advice
> would help.
>
> Many thanks,
> Ashim
>
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Traveller <traveller at petlover.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/10/2010 5:46, Ashim Kapoor wrote:
>> > Dear Tapas,
>> >
>> > In my windows I see my own wifi as well as the neighbour's wifi
>> > connection.
>> >
>> > Here is the output of iwlist :-
>> >

>> > ashimkapoor at ubuntu-laptop:/var$ iwlist scan
>> > lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
>> >
>> > eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>> >
>> > wlan0     Failed to read scan data : Network is down
>> >
>> > pan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>> >
>> > Waiting for your comments,
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Ashim
>> >
>> > On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:mightydreams at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor at gmail.com
>> >     <mailto:ashimkapoor at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >      > Dear All,
>> >      >
>> >      > I recently installed ubuntu 10.04.1. The wired lan internet works
>> >     fine , but
>> >      > I am unable to install the wireless netgear internet. When I do
>> >     system
>> >      > ->administration ->network tools and choose wireless interface it
>> >     does not
>> >      > let me edit the ipv4 settings.
>> >      >
>> >      > What do I have to do ? Please explain.
>> >      >
>> >      > Many thanks,
>> >      > Ashim
>> >     I searched this thing on internet and before I can suggest some
>> > thing
>> >     I want to know is your wifi card being detected on your system.
>> >     If possible for you just go to some friend who has a wifi and see if
>> >     you can see wifi of friends network  being detected
>> >     on your laptop.
>> >     If you are comfortable with command line
>> >     then post the output of
>> >     iwlist scan
>> >
>> >     If everything is working, the resulting output will yield something
>> >     like:
>> >
>> >     wlan2 Scan completed :
>> >     Cell 01 - Address: 00:1A:70:46:BA:B1
>> >     ESSID:"lwfdjf_rad"
>> >     Mode:Master
>> >     Channel:1
>> >     Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
>> >     Quality=66/100 Signal level:-46 dBm
>> >     Encryption key:on
>> >     IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
>> >     Group Cipher : CCMP
>> >     Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
>> >     Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
>> >     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
>> >     24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
>> >     12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
>> >     Extra:tsf=000000da45e7c18a
>> >     Extra: Last beacon: 68ms ago

> [...]

Check if your Wireless card is listed as supported on Linux here
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

This is a good read too,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

I found both of these links here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/switching/preparing-hardware.html

Hope this helps.

The NetworkManager applet was buggy in the Karmic Jaunty release but
its greatly improved since Karmic, I can tell you this; coz I was one
of the privileged few too have experienced this.

--
  & RU  d~_*b