CRT flickering like mad on wakeup

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 01:37:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:22 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 16/10/2010 07:46, Ric Moore wrote:
> > My old huge Dell CRT flickers like crazy after it goes into sleep mode
> > and wakes up when I move the mouse. I've turned off all of the
> > "power-savers" I can find. I'm not running compiz. I mean it really puts
> > on a display, changing resolutions. I'm afraid I'll toast this older
> > beast. Any suggestions? Ric
> >

> It's on the way out.
>
> Do you have a repair shop in your area which still handles CRT monitors
> (we had one here but it closed down due to lack of patronage)? They'll
> tell you what could be the cause - probably a simple replacement of some
> small component.

As long as it doesn't go to sleep, no probs. No probs since I got rid of
that suspicious looking DPMS thing in xorg.conf. Some of these new
fangled things going on under the hood of my linux box are past the
realm of audience participation.

I just want the stinking thing to deliver a video signal to the monitor
and not play alarm clock and "Father Knows Best" on me. No, it was like
the desktop was cycling through all of the available resolutions to pick
one it liked, and not the one >I< like. So, I cut off it's family
jingles. >SNIP!<  Bwahahahahahah, <evil maniacal grin> Ric

Linux user# 44256