Virtual Machines

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Oct 18 00:24:52 UTC 2010

On Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:46 PM, d~_*b wrote:
> On 17 October 2010 01:31, Tom Browder<tom.browder at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:58, Alex Gabriel<alexgabriel at bell.net>  wrote:
>>> On the subject of virtual machines, what's the opinion of others here on the best program to use? I've tried VirtualBox with Ubuntu (GNOME and KDE), FreeBSD, and Ubuntu Server.
>>>
>>> When I ran FreeBSD, there was no problem with boot following installation.  Ubuntu Server, though, just wouldn't boot. Installation proceeded as expected, but starting the virtual machine showed the boot process begin but couldn't complete.
>>>
>>> I tested this quite a while ago, and thus details are sketchy, but that was my experience.
>>>
>>> Do any of the subscribers here have any preferences or recommendations on running VM through Kubuntu?
>>>
>>> I'm looking to configure a file server running through a VM on a laptop with Kubuntu 10.10 installed. The laptop doesn't allow me to shut off the display (thereby preventing image burn), otherwise I'd simply install Ubuntu Server directly to the hard disk drive.  I'm familiar with FreeBSD, (K)Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE as installation environments.
>>>
>>> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I've fiddled with commercial VMware Workstation on Linux and
>> VirtualBox on Linux and Windows.  I've not been totally satisfied with
>> any.
>>
>> I'm now going to try Citrix's new XenServer (free version)running on
>> bare iron on a hand-me-down box dedicated to virtual guests.  See:
>>
>>   http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300351
>>
>> -Tom
>>
>> --
>>

> I have been happy running Windows on VirtualBox over OpenSolaris and
> Solaris10 machines. I feel it provides seamless integration between
> the two environments and has less hassles during configuration.

Hassles? WHAT HASSLES? :-D Okay, maybe a tiny bit.

I ran a VNC session over the Net. The other side has a 100mbit
connection and my side has a 50mbit connection. Installed Windows 7
Professional and boy was it choppy. Turns out that the Nvidia display
was not supported by the bundle driver. Get the latest from Nvidia,
installed it, enabled 3D support in Virtualbox and installed the Guest
drivers in Windows and hey presto! I can even watch a flash video being
played in Windows (okay, no sound, a little bit choppy but this is over
vnc) and I doubt that can be achieved with Linux and KVM at the moment.

Disk i/o was not too shabby either nevermind that there is no virtio
infrastructure like there is on Linux but Virtualbox and OpenSolaris do
support virtio for nics. Having done both kvm and Virtualbox, I am sold
on vbox until a kvm solution makes use of a paravirtualized 3D solution
for Windows. At which time I shall take another look.

> Guess I am more inclined towards Sun since I used to work for them
> till Oracle acquired it.

I don't care about whoever made the thing so much so as how great the
product is. ZFS rocks. Now if only I can get all these other software
with pesky usage of gcc extentions to compile with Sun Studio...

> Its a shame OpenSolaris is now dis-continued, however I hope Oracle
> proves itself by taking Solaris 11 Express to new heights

Who cares about what Oracle did? There is now Illumos for the kernel
bits (okay, and a bit more) and choices of Nexenta if you like a Hardy
env + gnu ld linked binaries or OpenIndiana which will attempt to carry
on the legacy of OpenSolaris. In fact, with quite a few top engineers
that were involved in stuff like dtrace and zfs out of Oracle's shadow
and working on Illumos, it might even better whatever Oracle comes out
with later if Illumos gets more people involved and hopefully a great
distro or two too.