what os is using which partitions?

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 18:59:49 UTC 2010

On 17/10/10 05:54, Doug wrote:
> I got testdisk.  It seems to be an uber version of gparted.  It also
> seems dangerous!
> But it does not name the operating systems on the various partitions.
>   From ubuntu
> or debian I can look at files in the various partitions.  Which file(s)
> contain the name
> of the operating system that's installed in a given partition?
> Someplace that info
> must exist, since grub (_not_ ubuntu grub!) uses that  to name the
> systems you
> can select at boot.

As far as I know there is no magic file of this kind -grub takes its
information from its grub configuration file. Partitions are just
partitions -system partitions will contain their own OS files, but they
become "owned" by an OS just when the OS boots.

I guess yours is a work of patience -boot from a live cd, mount the
different partitions, take note of what is there and guess which OS
corresponds ; then check where is your grub installation, edit that
grub.conf file, and if you didn't mess your partition table, you should
be able to boot everything back correctly.