Making /etc/fstab persistent in live-system

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 17:46:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:49, Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/17 Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 05:47, Are Venes <arevenes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  sudo chattr +i /etc/fstab
>> which makes it immutable.
>> View a file's attributes with lsattr.  See manpages for both for details.
>
>     That would work but it has the annoying side effect that it becomes
>  cumbersome to modify /etc/fstab afterward (the first person only wanted
>  that his/her fstab would not be reset at each boot).

Yes, Loïc, yours is a much better solution--I frankly missed the
special circumstances the OP mentioned and immediately jumped to
something I had to hack with an older distro which did the same kind
of thing (early Fedora, I believe) when I couldn't find the source of
the fstab changes.

Regards,

-Tom