Vim Kung-Fu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 07:52:31 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 01:26 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Christopher Lemire
> <christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My contacts list in google (used for most google web apps, google
> > voice, gmail, etc.) is very messy. I could edit it through google on
> > the web, but that is tedious. I exported the contacts list in all 3
> > available formats. None are very readable or understandable. I'd like
> > to edit with vim (mostly in command mode) one of these files, and then
> > import it back into Google. I googled "edit cvs OR vcf with vim" and I
> > came up with unrelated search results, mostly CVS as in Control
> > Version System. Any thoughts? How can this be done?
>
> It's not cvs but csv as in comma-separated values.
>
> It might be easier to edit one of the csv files in OO, or at least
> prep it in OO because you probably have many unused fields/columns and
> then edit it with vi.

Is there some way to get OOo to not display a zillion fields/columns
other than the actual ones from the csv file? It's annoying, but I do
concur that a standard csv file is relatively easy to import with OOo
spreadsheet. Just click on import and then pick the filename. I did that
with about 1,800 records. Worked a charm. Ric

Linux user# 44256