Virtual Machines

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel at bell.net
Sat Oct 16 15:58:47 UTC 2010

On the subject of virtual machines, what's the opinion of others here on the best program to use? I've tried VirtualBox with Ubuntu (GNOME and KDE), FreeBSD, and Ubuntu Server.

When I ran FreeBSD, there was no problem with boot following installation.  Ubuntu Server, though, just wouldn't boot. Installation proceeded as expected, but starting the virtual machine showed the boot process begin but couldn't complete.

I tested this quite a while ago, and thus details are sketchy, but that was my experience.

Do any of the subscribers here have any preferences or recommendations on running VM through Kubuntu?

I'm looking to configure a file server running through a VM on a laptop with Kubuntu 10.10 installed. The laptop doesn't allow me to shut off the display (thereby preventing image burn), otherwise I'd simply install Ubuntu Server directly to the hard disk drive.  I'm familiar with FreeBSD, (K)Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE as installation environments.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Alex Gabriel