what os is using which partitions?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Oct 16 04:05:11 UTC 2010

I have googled for this, but haven't found an answer.  Is there any way of
determining what os is using which partitions?  I think I know what some
of them are, but I'm having a problem with the ubuntu multi-booter,
showing about 4 or 5 copies of ubuntu, and also showing that a
partition of 140 GB is being used, which is not how I partitioned the
drive.  gparted shows what the partitions are separated and named as,
(sdax, y, z, etc.) and how big, and how formatted (I haven't rerun it since
this install of 10.10 yesterday) but since there are supposed to be 4
os's on
the machine, of which Ubuntu's grub shows only 3, there's some
work to do.  This is similar to, but worse, than the situation when I
installed 10.04.  More on this when I find out the answer to the above.
(Meanwhile, will run gparted again and see what it says.)

ps:  is there any way to "dump" the grub selection window to some
file that I could forward to the list?  (Are attachments permitted?)

Thanx--doug