Rolling back to Lucid?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Fri Oct 15 07:41:38 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 October 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 19:23 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I just got an email that my DVD is on the way. I'm wondering if I should
> > hold back for awhile? Everything is swell with 10.4 Is there a major
> > benefit to 10.10? Ric
>
> There is.  Broken FGLRX and Nvidia drivers.  Lots of new interesting
> errors like the one I keep having with Rhythmbox where I can't turn the
> volume up and down unless I re-close and open. Constant Gwibber
> segfaults from those of us who get hundreds of tweets an hour.  Luckily
> I happen to have a newer high-end ATI card that happens to be Direct
> Rendering capable from opensource drivers so that problem doesn't matter
> to me that much, might to you though.

Which boils down to this: _you_ have to look for yourself. I would have
answered there were no problems because I  use none of Jordon's stuff.

I understand many on this list run on older hardware, but are all your
harddisks so small you can't spare a few GB? I  am surprised (true, no troll)
that people are worried to wreck there running system when they upgrade. I
would _never_ start an upgrade without having first tested a fresh install,
that's why I keep a free partition where I install the new release, find out
about issues that concern me, and then (after a backup) start an upgrade or a
fresh install.

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock