Help upgrading to 10.10

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 14 12:58:44 UTC 2010

On 14/10/2010 23:00, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 14 October 2010 12:49, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> OK, here I am, a total newbie, I read on the 'net that Ubuntu is the
>> "ants pants"and installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS ("What the heck does LTS
>> mean!?") - and then read in *the Inquirer* that 10.10 has been released.
>>

> Google + Ubuntu + Upgrade + I'm feeling Lucky =
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade
>
> Al.

Of course! <hits forehead with baseball bat>

Why didn't I think of this.

OK, alright already, no more "the funny stuff" or attempts at sarcasm or
anything.

I did what some guru here suggested a while back which was to select
"Normal Releases" and not the "Long Term Support Releases only" in
Software Sources.

OK, I did this, and have had my 10.04 upgraded to 10.04.1 by Update Manager.

Then Update Manager has been telling me over the past days hat there is
a version upgrade (to 10.10).

I mentioned in another post (different thread) of what I was "told" by
the Update Manager when I went to use it to upgrade my 10.04.1 to 10.10.

I read your post (above) and thought, "What WOULD happen if I was a
normal user and simply followed orders like a good soldier"?

So I went into Source Manager and altered the selected "Normal Release"
to "Long Term support release only".

I then ran Update Manager again.

The result is shown on this screen capture:

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-upgrade-vhzLGVgD.jpg

*NO* mention of any available upgrade to the OS.

Now, how does this gell with the above link you provided which states-

   1. Start System/Administration/Update Manager.
   2.

      Click the *Check* button to check for new updates.

   3.

      If there are any updates to install, use the *Install Updates*
      button to install them, and press *Check* again after that is
      complete.

   4. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new
      release.
   5.

      Click *Upgrade*.

   6. Follow the on-screen instructions.

?

Quite apart from this, how would a "newbie" even know that the above
link is available?

Oh, you want to see what Upload Manager shows when I have "Normal
Releases" selected instead of 'Long Term support releases only"?

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-upgrade2-3PId1Cf2.png

Just simply asking.

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
                          W C Fields