use of fschk

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Oct 14 10:48:47 UTC 2010

I, have- I hope - a rather simple question.
My HD (1 year old: ATA SAMSUNG HD502HI).
Since several weeks I get kernel errors related to this disk like:
ata1.00: error: { UNC } ...:  51 Time(s)
     end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector ...:  6 Time(s)
     sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto
reallocat ...:  6 Time(s)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descr ...:  6 time(s)

As this disk is the main disk with / and /home etc I cannot unmount it
to perform an fsck when running th system. I assume a live-CD  (or
USB-stick) would do the trick But does anybody if there is an easier
method as it is such a hassle, and moreover is the best way to do it?
Thanks in advance,
Joep